A clash with the Chinese military on Tuesday night resulted in the death of 20 Indian soldiers in Galwan Valley, The Hindustan Times reports citing a source familiar with the situation.
The publication notes that among the dead – the battalion commander. Previously, there were reports of three Indian military officers and two soldiers killed.
The newspaper notes that both sides have now withdrawn their forces from the incident area.
The Indian side believes that the Chinese military has also suffered losses, but no official data on this has been received so far.
The incident occurred in the eastern part of India’s Ladakh region in the Himalayan region on the border with China – in the Galwan Valley, which is a disputed area on the Indo-Chinese border, the Indian army said on Tuesday.
According to CNN, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said that on the eve “Indian troops crossed the borderline twice for illegal actions, as well as committed provocative acts and attacked Chinese troops, which led to a serious physical conflict between the two sides. The Indian side, on the contrary, claims that the incident was provoked by the Chinese military.
Tensions along the border between the two sides escalated last month. Beijing and Delhi have repeatedly accused each other of crossing the Line of Actual Control, the demarcation line between India and China in eastern Ladakh.
Territorial disputes between China and India led to the 1962 Sino-Indian Border War.